Frequency of mutated allele CYP2D6*4 in the Turkish population

Koseler A., Ilcol Y. O., Ulus I. H.

PHARMACOLOGY, vol.79, no.4, pp.203-206, 2007 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 79 Issue: 4
  • Publication Date: 2007
  • Doi Number: 10.1159/000100959
  • Journal Name: PHARMACOLOGY
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED), Scopus
  • Page Numbers: pp.203-206
  • Bursa Uludag University Affiliated: No


The frequency of functionally important mutations and alleles of the gene coding for CYP2D6 shows wide ethnic variations. The present study aimed to determine the most common mutated allele CYP2D6*4 gene in a Turkish population of 100 unrelated subjects, by using real-time PCR with fluorescent probe. CYP2D6*4 allele was not detected in 62 subjects ( 62%). Among the remaining 38 subjects (38%), 4 (4%) were carriers of two *4 alleles, being homozygous for CYP2D6 and genotyped as CYP2D6*4/*4.34 subjects (34%) were carriers of one *4 allele, being heterozygous for CYP2D6*4. The frequency of allele *4 was 0.21. These data indicate that 4% of the Turkish individuals living in the city of Bursa are carriers of two nonfunctional mutated alleles *4, being homozygous for CYP2D6*4. It is clinically important to be able to identify those individuals who are likely to have altered pharmacokinetics for CYP2D6 substrates in order to avoid adverse drug reactions. Copyright (c) 2007 S. Karger AG, Basel.