Distribution of blood pressures in Gemlik District, north-west Turkey


Aytekin N., Pala K. , Irgil E., Akis N., Aytekin H.

HEALTH & SOCIAL CARE IN THE COMMUNITY, vol.10, no.5, pp.394-401, 2002 (Journal Indexed in SSCI) identifier identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 10 Issue: 5
  • Publication Date: 2002
  • Doi Number: 10.1046/j.1365-2524.2002.00379.x
  • Title of Journal : HEALTH & SOCIAL CARE IN THE COMMUNITY
  • Page Numbers: pp.394-401

Abstract

The objectives of the present study were to evaluate the prevalence, awareness and control of hypertension among individuals over 30 years of age and to plan a follow-up programme for the same age group. A community-based sample of 1992 individuals (952 men and 1040 women) was selected randomly. Out of the total study population, 1388 (69.7%) individuals had normal blood pressure according to World Health Organisation criteria (systolic blood pressure < 140 mmHg and diastolic blood pressure < 90 mmHg), and the rest (n = 604, 30.3%) had hypertension to varying degrees. Since 61 individuals with normal blood pressure were using antihypertensive medication, the overall hypertension prevalence was 33.4%. Among the study subjects with hypertension, 44.4% were aware of their condition, 37.7% were using medication and 9.2% had controlled hypertension. One out of five individuals (n = 399, 20.0%) had never had their blood pressure measured before. Females had a higher hypertension prevalence than males (36.7% and 29.7%, respectively). Hypertension prevalence increased with age and individuals with a body mass index > 25 were at greater risk. The present findings suggest that there is a need to implement an effective, community-based and low-cost management programme.